[Distutils] Colour this bikeshed: Name for setuptools fork

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Jul 17 16:02:35 CEST 2009

On Jul 17, 2009, at 9:58 AM, Paul Moore wrote:

> 2009/7/17 Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>:
>> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Lennart Regebro<regebro at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> PJE wanted a rename, which settles that issue IMO.
>>
>> Ok then let's call it "Red Barrel" then
>>

>> Unless I get 4 "-1"  (please don't ;) )
>
> Sorry, I'm going to be a spoilsport. Remember PyPI -> Cheese Shop ->
> PyPI? Monty Python names are fun, but they confuse people a bit too
> much when used as high-profile project name.

Well, I disagreed with that decision because PyPI was /more/ confusing
(IMHO) since PyPy also exists, and is a homonym.  Which means when
you're actually talking about it, you have to say "no, I mean the
Python Packaging Index".  This is one place where I think a cute MP
name was perfectly descriptive, fun, memorable, distinctive, and just
plain right.

-Barry