[Distutils] Progress on the first distribute release

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Fri Jul 17 18:36:57 CEST 2009

Following up on myself :)

We started to work on the documentation, added the basic Sphinx
infrastructure and added a new combined changelog which lists the
changes made in this fork.

Since we have forked the setuptools 0.6 branch, I have carefully
reviewed what changesets we missed from the setuptools trunk. Based on
this review I have merged a couple more bug-fixes and style changes to
our code. There are only a minor number of remaining differences to
the setuptools trunk, which are not appropriate for a maintenance
release. These are tracked at

In addition to the eight issues we have fixed so far, these are the
new additions we applied, solely based on the work from the original

* Packages required at build time where not fully present at install
time. This closes http://bitbucket.org/tarek/distribute/issue/12.

* Avoid a call to /usr/bin/sw_vers on OSX and use the official
platform API instead. Based on a patch from ronaldoussoren. This
closes http://bitbucket.org/tarek/distribute/issue/5.

* Fixed a SandboxViolation for mkdir that could occur in certain
cases. This closes http://bitbucket.org/tarek/distribute/issue/13.