[Distutils] Colour this bikeshed: Name for setuptools fork

Leonardo Santagada santagada at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 18:48:37 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:

> y the persons that you know do not have time to maintain it should
> be allowed to do so, That has put us through a lot of unnecessary
> pain, just because you are not willing to let go of something you no
> longer are willing to maintain.
>
> I which we somehow could get control over the setuptools name on PyPI.
> Setuptools is dead, you are not interested in maintaining it, we
> should in fact not need to rename it at all.

Setuptools is dead, but the fork should be named something else just
to show that development doesn't have anything to do with the way
setuptools and is in fact a new and live project. People that were
burned by setuptools should give distribute a new chance.
What should happen is that distribute (or redbarrel or disttools)
should provide a distribute-setuptools package that is just a module
that import distribute and is transparent to other packages that want
to continue to "import setuptools".

--
Leonardo Santagada