[Distutils] Colour this bikeshed: Name for setuptools fork

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 19:28:02 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 6:35 PM, P.J. Eby<pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> However, AFAIK, nobody qualified for the job of setuptools maintainer
> actually *wants* the position, myself included.  (This is not to say that
> such qualified persons do not exist, I'm just saying that I don't know of
> them at the moment.)
>
> But lack of qualified volunteers is not me "preventing" anyone doing
> anything.  Obviously, I am not "preventing" anyone from forking it.

I don't buy that anymore. If you want to be a dictator you have to be
present in the
maintenance of the code. You're not anymore present, now you are
acting and talking like an old
despot that don't want to see his kingdom taken over by the people ;)

More seriously, if you think people like me or Hanno are not qualified
enough to fix dumb-stupid bugs like
the svn 1.6 compatibility stuff, or do releases, that's your problem.

Also, you spend enough time in the mailing lists to be able to drive
us to do the "right"  things,
so, I don't buy what you are saying about being "blessed" (being Ian
or Jim). No offense, but I wouldn't bless *you*
in any of my projects with you anti-PEP 8 coding style ;)

But anyway, let the fork be, I trust all these "unqualified" people
that are part of it. Most of them
have released many big large-scale applications and are very good.

Cheers
Tarek