[Distutils] [distribute] Python 3 support checked in, and fucked everything up.

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Sat Jul 18 13:08:29 CEST 2009

Lennart Regebro schrieb:
> 2009/7/18 Hanno Schlichting <hanno at hannosch.eu>:
>> I don't see the problem. Note that branches in Mercurial are quite
>> different from branches in SVN. Also typical SVN-style use might not
>> be appropriate for Mercurial. I'm myself using this only for a very
>> short time, so I'm in no position to lecture people about anything
>> here.
>>
>> But looking at http://bitbucket.org/tarek/distribute/changesets/ all
>> looks fine to me. I gave the setuptools-0.6 branch the name default
>> now, which seems to cause it to be the "default" you get as a working
>> copy when cloning the repo.
>
> OK, that solved that problem. It's annoying that you can't delete
> branches so they won't show up. OK, you can inactivate them, but the
> default is to list all, and you have to type --active to not list the
> inactive ones. That's just daft. It means that if you make a mistake,
> like I did, you have to basically live with that mistake, and you
> can't prune old branches in any reasonable way.

I'm sure that this discussion will be welcome on the mercurial mailing list.
Maybe they haven't given their branches as much thought as you have.

> Anyway. I found that with the mqextension strip you seem to be able to
> delete branches.
> I'd be happy to delete all my changes this way, and start over, this
> seems doable. (It's not much work).
> But before I do this, I would like confirmation that I should do this.
> I think it's a good idea. The python3 branch is broken now anyway.

Note that you cannot push "stripped" changesets.  strip destructively alters
the history, and while that's a good thing as long as you only do it locally,
it would have detrimental effects on other clones, which e.g. could have
new changesets based on those you stripped.  So once you pushed a changeset,
and you really want to get rid of it, you must tell everyone who has a clone
to do the strip as well (starting with Jesper at bitbucket), or risk getting
contributions that reintroduce these changesets.

Georg