[Distutils] Colour this bikeshed: Name for setuptools fork

Joachim König him at online.de
Sat Jul 18 16:54:21 CEST 2009

P.J. Eby wrote:
> In other words, people I know and trust to be qualified for the job
> are quite free to maintain it.  If Jim or Ian wanted to "adopt"
> setuptools or become primary maintainers, I'd frankly jump at the
> opportunity!
>
> Mainly, I trust Jim and Ian because they're thorough, cautious, and
> sensitive to "legacy" issues.  I know they're not going to go in and
> reverse years of policy until and unless they have a damn good
> understanding of both the old and the new requirements, and have a
> plan to address compatibility and migration.

I think this is the main issue with setuptools: it requires maintainers
capable of mastering a high
degree of complexity. I often admire such people but I rarely admire
their code if I have to
use it because if it gets in my way, I have a hard time figuring out
what to change to let that
code do what I need.

About setuptools, it does to much in an intertwined way so that it's
hard to instruct to do
only the steps I want it to do.

I think, that's also the reason why it's so hard to find a good
descriptive name for the fork.

So let me also suggest two ironic names to shed some light on it:

- upsettools because it upsets a lot of people
- pjesak PJE's swiss army knife, sounding similar to the german
"piesack" which means "to badger".

Can't setupstools be split up into individual scripts that can be used
on their own but working
on a common specification:

- determining dependencies
- determining what's installed and detecting possible conflicts
- fetching code from remote to the local system
- extracting the code for building
- patching the code with local patches
- building the code
- installing to the  destination
- ...

Finding good names for the individual steps should be much easier. The
fork of setuptools
could then execute the steps in the right order automatically but system
integrators could
easily only perform the steps they require to be done by the setuptools
fork, other steps
could be performed by the packaging system.