[Distutils] Colour this bikeshed: Name for setuptools fork

Jannis Leidel jannis at leidel.info
Sun Jul 19 18:46:53 CEST 2009

>> Note that the primary package name that the "distribute"
>> distribution embeds is still named "setuptools" at this point, for
>> better or worse.  I don't know how long this will be true, but it's
>> still true right now, and I suspect it won't change before the
>> first release.  That may be another can of worms, but at this point
>> it's probably not worth losing any sleep over.
>>
>> In any case, changing the distribution name ("distribute"
>> currently) is pretty trivial in comparison to changing a package
>> name because imports don't need to change.  I'd begin to get more
>> nervous when the package names change. ;-)
>
> Also, this entire discussion may be moot if, as I'm currently
> understanding it, this is simply a matter of other people doing
> maintenance and bug fixes to the 0.6 branch...  in which case there
> is a very strong possibility that I'll just bless various versions
> of it as official 0.6 versions of setuptools.
>
> (One obstacle to this actually happening, though, is the part where
> they're stripping out my release tools, like wikiup.cfg, version
> +version.dat, etc., as I would need to add these back in order to
> actually do a release.)

If you'd bless distribute as one of setuptools versions, wouldn't it
be a perfect moment to move its documentation away from the (often
slow) PEAK wiki, use a Sphinx build (as already worked out in the
setuptools-0.6 branch) and publish it on http://packages.python.org/setuptools/?
  There is even a useful setup.py command to help publishing it: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Sphinx-PyPI-upload/

Best,
Jannis