[Distutils] extending PKG-INFO .. or having a standard/library for reading setuptools' metadata

Sridhar Ratnakumar sridharr at activestate.com
Tue Jul 21 02:39:26 CEST 2009

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 17:20:44 -0700, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:

> At 01:26 PM 7/20/2009 -0700, Sridhar Ratnakumar wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 19:31:36 -0700, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com>
> wrote:
>  discovery.resources -- basically pkg_resources under a different name
>  It may also be worth adding support for parsing the files under
> .egg-info
> - for instance, those 'extras' in requires.txt.
>  See the 'requires()' method of Distribution objects:
>
> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PkgResources#distribution-methods

I've already looked into that before (in pkg_resources.py) -
unfortunately, this does not return all of requires.txt (as Python dict,
that is), but only *what* you specify in the 'extras' argument (how am I
supposed to know the /possible/ extras sections beforehand?).

The closest I've come to is using `split_sections` and `_get_metadata` to
construct the dict myself. But that is not the ideal way to provide/use an
API.

-srid