[Distutils] [Distribute] Python 3 porting effort - plans proposal for 0.7/0.8

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 16:07:28 CEST 2009

Hello,

(Following Ronald's mail about porting setuptools to Py3k
(http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2009-June/012108.html)
and Lennart's effort for that too)

Since setuptools doesn't exist yet under Python 3, I think we can
simplify the "porting to Py 3k" problem by starting a python 3
only version for the Distribute project and flip our porting problems
into the other way.

Here's my proposal, after 0.6 is released :

- Let's start a "0.8" branch right now, by removing all the
bootstraping code and by splitting and renaming all elements right
away.

  The setuptools package will be renamed in something else, the
pkg_resources.py module and easy_install script too.
  Those will be three distinct distributions. To use them, people will
have to change their import lines, and install_requires lines.

- Let's then backport the 0.8 version into a 0.7 version, compatbile
with Python 2.x and with the required bootstraping
  so it works in 2.x environments

We might end up with a very ugly 0.7, but who cares this would boosts
Python 3 adoption imho

Opinions ?

Cheers
Tarek