[Distutils] Distutils History

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Fri Jul 24 03:49:06 CEST 2009

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 04:17:42 -0400, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I've added a chapter on Distutils history to
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/Distutils to provide an overview why
> current Distutils in not sufficient anymore and needs refactoring. I
> would like to ask for review to see if that information is more
> appropriate for Distutils/Critics

I've updated

  http://wiki.python.org/moin/Distutils/Proposals

and put some ideas down on updating setup.py and showing a preview on
how it could benefit from being a class rather than a procedure.

I feel that regular developers will find it easier to understand than
the traditional procedural setup.py. It will give them information
on the platform, and allow them to make conditional installs based
on the underlying environment.

This will in turn lead to more flexibility and reduce the
necessity for developers to resort to hacks and undocumented features.

(I wasn't sure on how to make it a subpage - I couldn't find the
button.)

Regards

David