[Distutils] [Distribute] Python 3 porting effort - plans proposal for 0.7/0.8

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 16:40:32 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Lennart Regebro<regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/7/24 Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>:
>> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Ronald Oussoren<ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I agree with Lennart that a 2.x only release would be better, especially because it would be possible to do a 0.7 alpha/beta release short after the stable 0.6 release.
>>
>> Notice that 0.7 will rename the setuptools package, the
>> pkg_resources.py module, and the easy_install script
>>
>> Meaning that if we don't add py3 support in the 0.6.x series, people
>> will *have* to rename their imports if they want to
>> use it under Python 3.
>
> Yeah, but is that a problem, as the renamed version will exist for
> Python 2 as well, I assume?

no, it just changes the constraints :

0.6 : python 2 + no renaming
0.7 : python 2 or 3 + renaming

or

0.6 : python 2 or 3 + no renaming
0.7 : python 2 or 3 + renaming

> In any case, I have no strong opinion on whether 3.x support comes in
> 0.6 or 0.7.

me neither, so let's drop that for 0.6.

The work left for 0.6 is:

- writing the zc.buildout bootstrap with a patch
  (zc.buildout.buildout.boostrap needs to be patched :()

- finish the tests under various environments (I didn't test too much
under win32)

(help welcome :))

So the release should be pushed around the 5th or 6th,