[Distutils] [issue83] I wish setuptools would prefer v1.4.1 in binary egg format over v1.4.5 in sdist format when I'm requiring >= v1.1.0

Zooko O'Whielacronx setuptools at bugs.python.org
Mon Jul 27 23:13:16 CEST 2009

New submission from Zooko O'Whielacronx <zooko at zooko.com>:

It is often the case that a binary .egg is usable and an sdist is not (when the
package requires compiling C or C++ code).  Here is an example where this is
currently happening:

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/773#comment:7

Tahoe-LAFS requires zfec>=1.1.0.  There are two distributions found during build
a binary .egg of zfec v1.4.1 for the current platform and python version and an
sdist of zfec v1.4.5.  Setuptools is choosing the latter, which then fails to
build because the C/C++ compiler isn't set up on the target system.

If setuptools would prefer binaries over sdists when both satisfy the versioning
requirements, then this would be better.

messages: 331
nosy: zooko
priority: wish
status: unread
title: I wish setuptools would prefer v1.4.1 in binary egg format over v1.4.5 in sdist format when I'm requiring >= v1.1.0