[Distutils] Cache PYTHONPATH? (Re: make unzipped eggs be the default)

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Jul 29 05:35:17 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 9:40 PM, P.J. Eby<pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 09:22 PM 7/28/2009 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>>
>> I can see how this could go quite wrong, but maybe if installers touch
>> some file in the library directory anytime a package is
>> installed/reinstalled/removed/etc,
>
> You mean, like, the mtime of the directory itself?  ;-)

Do directory mtimes get recursively updated?  I don't think they do.
So if you have a layout:

site-packages/
  zope/
    interface/
      __init__.py

And you update the package and update __init__.py, the mtime of
site-packages doesn't change, does it?

I'm saying if there was a file in site-packages/last_updated that gets
touched everytime an installer does anything in site-packages, then
you could cache (between processes) the lookups.

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org  |  http://topplabs.org/civichacker