[Distutils] Cache PYTHONPATH? (Re: make unzipped eggs be the default)

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Thu Jul 30 00:46:27 CEST 2009

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:37:17 +0200, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
>2009/7/29 Jeff Rush <jeff at taupro.com>:
>> Hi David.  Not just your post but others here are making assumptions on
>> your own working environment.  Yes there are systems you need to save
>> disk space on, yes there are systems where you care about I/O
>> performance.  These are embedded systems.
>
>Exactly. But the fact still is that these systems are the specialized
>case today, so lets stop optimizing the *default* settings for them.
>
>> And the benefit of defaulting to zipped eggs is that it enforces on the
>> developer the discipline of writing his packages to use pkg_resources
>> instead of file I/O
>
>No, it just forces the developer to set zip_safe to False.

+1.  Python offers too many convenient ways to do it "wrong".  Zipped
eggs break deployments.  They don't make developers write code that
works in that environment.  Such code only gets written when developers
choose to care about such cases.  If you want Python to excel in these
areas, you need to convince developers to care.

Jean-Paul