[Distutils] Mutual recursion between setuptools and distutils with Python 2.7

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Jun 1 16:37:50 CEST 2009

Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek <at> gmail.com> writes:

> If I fork setuptools to fix those problem, I will have to release it
> under another name,
> and ask people to change their setup.py file.

Obviously I'm playing devil's advocate a bit, but a distribution doesn't have to
be named "setuptools" to provide a Python package named "setuptools" ;)

> I think the solution is that Phillip bless someone that have time to
> spend on it,
> to work on fixing those problems in setuptools.

It seems to be the issue here: PJE accepting to delegate maintenance to another
person or group of people. This would be a reasonable attitude.

Otherwise someone *will* have to fork it eventually... There's no third
alternative, too many people are relying on it right now.

Regards

Antoine.