[Distutils] Distutils functionality questions/clarifications...

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Jun 3 10:08:01 CEST 2009

On 3 Jun, 2009, at 9:40, David Lyon wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 07:55:26 +0200, Ronald Oussoren
> <ronaldoussoren at mac.com>
> wrote:
>>> in a nutshell though.. whats wrong with eggs as far as pywin32
>>> is concerned?
>>
>> The aren't shown in the Add/Remove programs menu.
>
> Oh - you don't have a python package manager... that's all... :-(

I already know how to manage python packages, that's not the point.

>> The same discussion
>> can be had about eggs vs. rpms on Linux, and having a package that is
>> recognized by the operating system package manager is very useful
>> when
>> managing a system.  Having all software managed by the same package
>> manager makes live a lot easier when you need to inventory what
>> software is installed on a system, and during upgrades.
>
> Totally agree.

I don't think we actually agree. When I have my system administrator
hat on I don't want a seperate Python Package Manager, Perl Package
Manager, Ruby Package Manager, ...., I just want a single tool that
manages all software.

That said, as a python developer having a tool like easy_install or
buildout that works the same on all operating systems is also very
convenient.

Ronald