[Distutils] PEP 345, PEP 376, PEP 386

Brian Sutherland brian at vanguardistas.net
Thu Jun 4 15:58:51 CEST 2009

2009/6/4 Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Brian Sutherland
> <brian at vanguardistas.net> wrote:
>>> And easy_install would have its own marker maybe, if the way it
>>> installs stuff slighlty differs
>>
>> ok, seems reasonable:)
>
> I'll work on that. I guess it's time to code the uninstall prototype,
>

>> Perhaps the --installer option take a string (like "dpkg") and convert
>> that to an md5 sum?
>>

> Mmm, or maybe drop the md5 completely, and go for a human readable name.
>
> (distutils, dpkg, etc..)
>
> The api would raise an error if the name is not in [A-Za-z0-9_\-]

I just remembered that setuptools implicitly sets
--single-version-externally-managed when the --root option is set.
Unfortunately my packaging-fu is not good enough to tell if it's an
option in this case as well, i.e. to set --installer to "external".

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#install-run-easy-install-or-old-style-installation