[Distutils] Comparison semantics for alphanumeric components of a version number

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Jun 8 02:58:38 CEST 2009

"P.J. Eby" <pje at telecommunity.com> writes:

> IOW, I'm not sure that a RationalVersion needs more than one each of
> "post" and "dev", nor that they need to be in any order other than
> "post, dev".

Why are those special cases needed *at all*? Why is it not enough to say
“within a component, compare sequences of digits as integers, and other
characters ASCII-ordered”?

I don't see there is sufficient consistency in the usage of these
special words to justify enshrining *one particular* interpretation of a
selected set of them. Why not cast them all out and keep the
specification thereby simpler?

--
 \                   “The best ad-libs are rehearsed.” —Graham Kennedy |
Ben Finney