[Distutils] Packaging: bdist_deb patches / platform specific code

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Wed Jun 10 00:36:15 CEST 2009

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 14:01:35 -0700, Ronald Oussoren
<ronaldoussoren at mac.com>
wrote:
> Even for bdist_rpm it is questionable if the implementation is correct
> w.r.t. the policies of various distributions.  Given the discussions
> about this in the past we wouldn't need a "bdist_rpm" or "bdist_deb"
> but "bdist_redhat", "bdist_suse", "bdist_debian", ...

Makes perfect sense to me... I'd include ubuntu in the list of primaries..

> Bdist_wininst and bdist_msi are somewhat special because the OS vendor
> does not have a specific policy on how to install python software.

I'd suggest that they merge into bdist_win. Then be designated with
"bdist_win /wininst" and "bdist_win /msi" respectively. One could
be made the default option but I don't have a preference.

David