[Distutils] recollections of Pycon distutils versioning discussion (part 2)

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Thu Jun 11 16:41:14 CEST 2009

If the "rational version number" spec allows arbitrary alphanumeric
components, then I can write something like $MAJ.$MIC.$MIN.snapshot
$COUNT.  Any tool which wants to compare my version numbers to each
other will do the right thing -- newer snapshots are higher than
older snapshots, snapshots are higher than the release (i.e. the same
version string with the ".snapshot$COUNT" part truncated off), and
newer releases are higher than any snapshot of an older release.

So far so good.  Now, should the "rational version number spec"
*also* encourage those of us who use this technique to use the same
spelling for ".snapshot" / "-r" / ".post"?  This would not effect any
version comparison, but it would be nice for us humans if everyone
chose the same word when they mean the same thing.

Regards,

Zooko