[Distutils] version scheme: a case for dropping ".devNNN" and ".postNNN"

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Jun 12 00:18:11 CEST 2009

Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> writes:

> The suggestion seems to be that projects using post releases should
> instead just add another component to their version.

Yes. That makes it immediately obvious that the “post release number”
component sorts within version numbers like any other component.

> This would make the current version of Twisted 8.2.0.27002.

Note that the specification I propose allows any alphanumeric character
[0-9A-Za-z], so you could also make the version string ‘8.2.0.r27002’ if
you want the “revision number” component to be visibly different while
still having an obvious sequencing semantic.

--
 \     “Here is a test to see if your mission on earth is finished. If |
  `\                          you are alive, it isn't.” —Francis Bacon |