[Distutils] version scheme: a case for dropping ".devNNN" and ".postNNN"

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Jun 12 00:24:25 CEST 2009

Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> writes:

> Agreed, I do this all the time. Pylons dev versions also regularly
> rely on other packages with a dev version, and people regularly use
> these non-released versions, with dependencies detected and installed
> via dependency_links.

I don't see how any of this argues for special-cased tokens in a version
string. Isn't this all possible anyway with a version comparison
algorithm with no special-cased tokens?

 \     “It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use |
  `\                                         it well.” —Rene Descartes |
Ben Finney