[Distutils] post-release revisions

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Jun 12 02:54:02 CEST 2009

At 08:39 AM 6/12/2009 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
>However, I remind readers that part of the problem we're trying to
>solve here is that version string schemes are *already* non-standard
>and inconsistent; we would have to choose only a sub-set of existing
>version schemes to be supported for upgrade.

Indeed, and such a subset has already been proposed.  Apparently,
some people don't like "dev" and "post" being a part of it.

I can *almost* see a case for dropping "post" - I personally have not
used it, and Trent has shown evidence that its usage is relatively
rare.  And I could *almost* see tacking on extra zeros to signify a
post tag, at the cost of readability, and the need for any tracked
packages (where the Python version of the project is versioned as
patchlevels of the foreign project) to maintain a consistent numbering scheme.

However, I do not see an equivalent case for dropping "dev", since
it's an important part of development workflows, and I don't see any
way to simulate it in an an otherwise-linear scheme.