[Distutils] Using setuptools as downloader for .msi/.exe

Hartmut Goebel h.goebel at goebel-consult.de
Fri Jun 12 10:36:35 CEST 2009

Hello,

how can I use setuptools for downloading (and installing) .msi and .exe
on Windows? I need this for extension modules like pygtk, lxml, psycopg2.

Or at least for finding the files within a html page, like easy_install
does.

Background:
The Tryton ERP system requires quite a lot of dependencies. The
installation is an imposition to the user when following the
installation instructions at
<http://code.google.com/p/tryton/wiki/InstallationWindows>.

So I want to write an installation script which bootstraps setuptools
(this part is already done), installs requires eggs (done) and downloads
.msi or .exe where eggs are not available. The later includes GTK+,
Postgresql and some extension modules like pygtk.

A normal Windows installer packages is not what I need here. The script
is indented for a) developers who want to set up their own development
environment and b) users who need to write extensions for their
installation.

Since the filenames may vary by version and python-version, (e.g.
pygtk-2.12.1-1.win32-py2.5.exe) I do not want to hard-code these. Esp.
since this would require changing the script quite often. easy_install
already has a feature for finding the best-matching version

--
Schönen Gruß - Regards
Hartmut Goebel

Goebel Consult
Spezialist für IT-Sicherheit in komplexen Umgebungen
http://www.goebel-consult.de