[Distutils] sdist default archive format

Leonardo Santagada santagada at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 07:32:10 CEST 2009

On Jun 17, 2009, at 11:29 PM, David Lyon wrote:

> With zip, the unzipper code is within python (I believe). So anything
> where the code for the format is already buried within python is going
> to be the best for python developers.
>
> If tar code is built in within python... then it should be a flick of
> the coin for people to decide....

The tar code is built in within python (there have been problems with
early versions of the tar module though).

What about unix permissions are those supported on zip, and are they
important in a source package? I would think they are importante (and
not supported in zip) but I'm not sure.

--
Leonardo Santagada
santagada at gmail.com