[Distutils] imho Distutils should stop this from happening to poor users....

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 11:22:47 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Ronald Oussoren<ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:
> The only way to achieve that at the moment is to add some code to setup.py
> that explicitly raises an exception when you try to build it on an
> unsupported platform.

Or to provide binary releases because python version and os info are
set in the archive name.
But it's hackish.

> The same is true for the python version, pyobjc currently explicitly tests
> for python >= 2.3,<3.0 because other versions aren't supported and cause
> compile errors (at best, IIRC it will compile with python 2.2 but cause
> interpreter crashes when you try to use it).

Some Trove classifiers have been added for Python 3 for example,

Martin uses it to provide a "Python 3 packages" page at Pypi

it's "Programming Language :: Python :: 3" (You have other Python
versions as well)

There are also an "Operating System ::" classifier.

I don't like this very much though, I find it cryptic, and I don't
think  we can force people+installers to use those classifiers.

The other solution is to use the "Requires-Python" Metadadata in PEP
345 and add a "Requires-Platform" when someone
wants to mark a source distribution compatibility. And the RPC
Interface at pypi provides a method to retrieve them without
downloading the package

it's : release_data(package_name, version)

It would be up to easy_install and such tools, to test those values,
prior downloading the package.

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org