[Distutils] imho Distutils should stop this from happening to poor users....

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Thu Jun 18 11:48:05 CEST 2009

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:45:58 +0200, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>
wrote:
> That's not distutils fault, neither easy_install one.
>
> "appscript" should provide a binary distribution for Windows (it does for
> Mac OS if you look at the pypi repo)
> Since it doesn't, easy_install grabs the source distro, which is the best
> behavior I can think of,
> then tries to compile it.
>
> The error message is pretty explicit by the way

It's good that you are seeing the challenges from a user perspective.

These are only tests I am doing on random packages and it doesn't worry
me too much if they don't work.

But I think there is much to be done to smooth things out...

Assigning all blame to the developers isn't what I'm doing. As I am
finding it hard to build and test on all platforms myself. Needless
to say it is something that distutils imho should be aiming for.

David