[Distutils] PEP 376 - .egg-info directory name separator

Sridhar Ratnakumar sridharr at activestate.com
Thu Jun 18 22:27:47 CEST 2009

Hi Tarek,

While I was reading this PEP, I noticed that it suggests the '-'
character as separator (between name, version, etc..) .. naturally
introducing '_' *within* names and versions.

   'python_ldap-2.5.a_5.egg_info'

This decision looks odd to me, as several package systems I know of use
the '_' character as seperator. In Debian,

   'python-ldap_2.3.5-1ubuntu1_i386.deb'

Besides, it is very common for Python packages to use '-' in their names
instead of '_'.

   [.. pypimirror]$ ls | grep "_" | wc -l
   200
   [.. pypimirror]$ ls | grep "-" | wc -l