[Distutils] sdist default archive format

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Sat Jun 20 03:43:19 CEST 2009

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 17:23:51 -0400, Eric Smith <eric at trueblade.com> wrote:
> How do I specify +x on Windows? I
> use cygwin, but what about those who don't? (Again, this is a serious
> question. I don't use straight Windows enough to know the answer.)

There's no such thing in the same way. Python programs are associated
with the python interpreter via the windows registry (system config)
and their .py suffix.

What this means is that the .py files are always executeable by
default on XP and beyond.

imho - if scripts need to be made executable on landing, then it
should be via the python subsystem with a chmod +x. Otherwise
there's just too much temptation for things to be done (with
permissions) that can cause things to go horribly wrong.

The end results of symlinks and permissions is that they tend
to make the package only work on *nix. Thats my basic objection
to them.

David