[Distutils] zip vs tar.gz at PyPI

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jun 20 14:29:47 CEST 2009

> We are talking about the "preferred" default archive format in Distutils-SIG.
>
> I was wondering if you could give us some statistics on the various
> archives format used at PyPI.

Here are some statistics:

total number of uploaded files:
- .tar.gz or .tgz files: 16667
- .tar.bz2 files:          547
- .zip files:             2053
- .egg files:            10189
- .exe files:             1115
- .rpm files:               77
- .dmg files:                4
- .deb files:                1

total number of such files uploaded as source:
- .tar.gz or .tgz: 16525
- .tar.bz2: 543
- .zip: 2046
- other source files: 6

number of packages that have uploaded such source files:
- .tar.gz or .tgz: 4229
- .tar.bz2:         151
- .zip:             706

Some packages release more than one source file per release;
it's difficult to compute statistics here, because these are
sometimes just repackagings (e.g. Amara: both .tar.gz and .tar.bz2)
and sometimes different sets of sources (e.g. 4Suite-XML: both
program source, and -docs).

HTH,
Martin