[Distutils] newbie bootstrap question

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Jun 26 11:23:28 CEST 2009

On Jun 25, 2009, at 7:20 PM, David Kim wrote:

> Sorry to ask, but I'm having with the first step of the buildout
> process, the bootstrap.py script. I get the following error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):   File "bootstrap.py", line 76,
> in <module>
> ws.find(pkg_resources.Requirement.parse('setuptools')).location
> AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'location'
>
> Unfortunately, I have no idea why this error is occurring. I am
> running on OS X Leopard and was just trying to bootstrap an empty
> buildout.cfg file to get things started. Tried googling the error,
> but nothing came up.
>
> Any pointers?

My guess is that you have setuptools installed in your python that
wasn't installed as an egg.   What is the output of running the
following Python script:

   import pkg_resources
   ws  = pkg_resources.working_set
   print ws.find(pkg_resources.Requirement.parse('setuptools'))

?

The bootstrap script has a try/except that tries to import pkg_utils.
If the import succeeds, it assumes that setiuptools is already
installed.  Try replacing the try/except with the contents of the
except.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton