[Distutils] newbie bootstrap question

Dave Peterson dpeterson at enthought.com
Fri Jun 26 22:05:09 CEST 2009

David Kim wrote:
> I am running the OS X EPD distribution, which uses Enstaller (built on
> setuptools). Could this have something to do with it?

Sorry, but yes, this is exactly the problem.   EPD comes with Enstaller
instead of setuptools, and thus there is no installed project called
'setuptools', so pkg_resources.require('setuptools') isn't going to find
anything.

As a quick fix, you could re-write the code you have as
pkg_resources.require('enstaller') and be on your way.

I think a better, and longer term, fix is for us to patch the 'require'
method in Enstaller's version of pkg_resources so that it catches a
request for setuptools and maps it to Enstaller.   This is probably safe
because you can't have both Enstaller and setuptools installed without
getting errors, plus Enstaller includes a patched version of setuptools.

-- Dave