[Distutils] setup_requires not caching downloaded packages?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Jun 28 22:24:39 CEST 2009

On Jun 26, 2009, at 7:50 PM, P.J. Eby wrote:

> You seem to be ignoring the part where *you don't need
> setup_requires* in order to get a correct manifest on the target
> system, as long as they're using an sdist.
>
> In other words, the only people who need setuptools_bzr are the
> people *making* sdists, not the people *using* sdists.  You can
> therefore omit it from your setup_requires, if I understand your
> current situation correctly.

I get that.  The problem is that there's nothing like an
'sdist_requires' which would list packages needed to make the sdist.
I'm not the only one making dists for upload, and I'd like to be able
to specify this requirement in the setup.py so that other people
making dists would have less dependency on their environment (i.e.
repeatablility).  So maybe setup_requires isn't the right thing to
use, but it's the only hook to hang this hat on (AFAICT).

But maybe there is and I've just overlooked it.

-Barry