[Distutils] easy_install fails on sourceforge?

Sridhar Ratnakumar SridharR at activestate.com
Tue Jun 30 09:25:33 CEST 2009

On 6/29/2009 9:33 PM, David Lyon wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 19:19:25 -0700, "Sridhar Ratnakumar"
>> Just throwing out some ideas:
>>
>> Wouldn't it be better for package authors to register their packages in
>> PYPI?
>
> It already exists (be it in command line form). See:
>
> http://docs.python.org/distutils/uploading.html

Yup, I'm aware of this. I was making a general comment that it is better
for package authors to register their packages in PyPI in such a way
that they have the 'Download URL' set properly to the actual tarball ..
instead of the SF download page (eg: see 'Pyro' in pypi). The
implication of this is that .. setuptools users need not rely much on
unreliable URL parsing methods.

> Why don't you have a look at building in the Python Package Manager into
> ActivePython. After all, ActivePerl has a package manager.. why can't
> the same thing be available to python users?

I recall Trent mentioned a while ago in this list that we started
working on PyPM (Python Package Manager).

In fact, last week .. there was a first internal alpha of the tool which
at the moment can download and install packages from the internal binary
repository which has over 4000 package releases for mac/lin/win.
Although, some important packages (eg: scipy, numpy, pyqt, etc..) are
not yet in the repository .. and we need to deal with these
build/metadata issues before making a public release.

-srid