[Distutils] How to find the default values for --find-links

Fadhley Salim fadhley.salim at uk.calyon.com
Thu Mar 5 18:27:46 CET 2009

In an automated build environment I need to be able to make eggs which
depend on non-released "testing" eggs. These are all published to a
web-server operated by my team.

I know that it's possible to globally change the default URLs of the
"--find-links" easy_install option by editing the distutils.cfg file,
however I want a fully automated process which will validate a system's
configuration and determine if the test-egg URL have been added to the
system. If not, I want my build process to fail with an explicit error
emssage.

Other than by directly inspecting and parsing this file, is there a
programatic way to find which hosts have been configured in the
distutils.cfg file? Ideally I'd like to access this information via
pkg_resources.

Any suggestions?

Thanks