[Distutils] Fixing parallel installs with easy_install / setuptools

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Mar 12 07:13:52 CET 2009

Garrett Cooper wrote:

> Thanks for the pointers. The only thing I'm concerned about is while
> scons and waf are both Python based, they're still not accepted
> packages in Python proper. That being said, neither is setuptools.

Yes, that's why I meant by "this is not meant as a general thing". I was
not sure whether you wanted to solve the problem at large or only for
your own application.

> Has there been talk of a standard python packaging tool being
> integrated into the interpreter suite?

A lot or not really depending on what you mean by packaging tool, but
this is a difficult topic. For once, the general rule for a package to
be included into python stdlib is to have already a relatively big
user-base - which is inherently difficult for a distribution tool. The
only way to get a userbase is to be backward compatible, but being
backward compatible with distutils means recreating all its flaws
(command-based, option handling, mixing metadata and code, etc....).
This is the main practical difficulty (besides implementing a good tool,
of course - but those tools already exist or could be relatively easily
integrated).

cheers,

David