[Distutils] Setuptools should not depend on setuptools.

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 18:20:22 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 17:51, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> I'm not aware anyone was arguing.

OK, wrong word "explaining" then. :)

> I've suggested that
> perhaps my assumption that both the 2.x and 3.x interpreters are available
> was the one we don't share, but you didn't comment on that.

I though I did comment on the question about only Python 3 being
available. And easy_install -U will not work for python 3 if you need
to use Python 2 for the first step of the installation. And buildout
sometimes requires updates to distutils, which currently is done
automatically, that won't work. And installation on Python 3 will be a
complicated multi-step affair.

>  Another
> possible assumption we don't share might be that a single source
> distribution with a single, "bilingual" (biversional?) setup.py is required.

Well, no, but that is a relatively minor problem. Unless you suggest
that we have complety separate setups, with one python 2.x install and
setup command, and one python 3 install and setup command. That seems
kinda silly, IMO.

> So I still don't know what the problem is, because you've not exposed all of
> your assumptions (as far as I can tell), nor corrected any of mine.

I don't have many assumptions. I just want the setuptools install and
tests to work as expected under both python2 and python3.  And that
means that python3.0 setup.py install should work. And python3.0
setup.py test would be nice too, although it's less important.

--
Lennart Regebro: Pythonista, Barista, Notsotrista.
http://regebro.wordpress.com/