[Distutils] Setuptools should not depend on setuptools.

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 19:21:21 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 19:02, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> In which case, either separate source distros are required

Which I would like to avoid.

> or 2to3 will need to be present

It is, as it's included with Python.

> and the main setup.py will need to detect python3 and
> run 2to3 on itself, then execfile the setup script of the newly-generated,
> python3 version of the same package.

Yup, that's the idea.

> Please note that even if you make setuptools "not depend on itself", all you
> are really doing is *moving* this problem to a different level.  Whatever it
> is that it depends on, will still need to be duplicated for python2 and
> python3...

Well, the build_py, for python 2 and the build_py_2to3 commands are
already in distutils, so I'm not sure exactly what would need to be
duplicated.

> and what's more, having a way worked out to do this will be of
> benefit to other packages besides setuptools

Well, that's what I'm trying to do. ;)

--
Lennart Regebro: Pythonista, Barista, Notsotrista.
http://regebro.wordpress.com/