[Distutils] Releasing zc.buildout

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Thu Mar 12 19:44:07 CET 2009

Tres Seaver wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>> On Mar 12, 2009, at 8:47 AM, Tres Seaver wrote:
>>> I'm doing most of my development these days with Python 2.6, and would
>>> like to get a deprecation-warning-free version of zc.buildout released
>>> if possible for the projects which use buildout.
>> OK
>
>>> I would be glad to make the release myself, if desired:  just bless me
>>> with the PyPI stick and let me know. ;)
>
>> That's fine.  You are blessed. :) I also blessed you for
>> zc.recipe.cmmi, since you were threatening to fix deprecation warnings
>> there too.
>
>> Note that I happen to be working on buildout atm and was planning to
>> make a new release soon.  I'd be happy to address 2.6 in that release,
>> but I'm happy to have you deal with 2.6.
>
> The tests all pass for me on 2.6, except the bootstrap one which barfs
> on its own shoelaces because the already-released egg used to do the
> bootstrapping emits a DeprecationWarning.  I was just planning on
> releasing it as 1.1.2, at which point the tests should pass.

I spoke too soon:  the 'boostrap' failure looks like what I described,
but another failfure is a doctest which barfs due to a major change in
exception formatting in Python 2.6.  I tried to get ELLIPSIS to hide the
differences, but my doctest-fu is to weak:

- ------------------------------- 8< ---------------------------
File
"/home/tseaver/projects/Zope-CVS/zc.buildout-trunk/src/zc/buildout/tests.py",
line 1725, in zc.buildout.tests.install_source_dist_with_bad_py
Failed example:
    print system(buildout), # doctest: +NORMALIZE_WHITESPACE +ELLIPSIS
Expected:
    Installing eggs.
    Getting distribution for 'badegg'.
    Got badegg 1.
    Installing bo.
    Generated script '/sample-buildout/bin/bo'.
    SyntaxError:...'return' outside function...
    SyntaxError:...'return' outside function...
Got:
    Installing eggs.
    Getting distribution for 'badegg'.
    Got badegg 1.
    Installing bo.
    Generated script '/sample-buildout/bin/bo'.
    SyntaxError: ("'return' outside function",
('build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/badegg/scripts/one.py', 2, None, 'return 1/n'))
    <BLANKLINE>
    SyntaxError: ("'return' outside function",
('/sample-buildout/eggs/tmpSUUYdy/badegg-1-pyN.N.egg/badegg/scripts/one.py',
2, None, 'return 1/n'))
    <BLANKLINE>

Tres.
- --