[Distutils] PyPI mirroring and Changing the .egg-info PEPs

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 16:43:11 CET 2009

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 8:10 PM, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
> Suggestions:
>
> Instead of http://pypi.python.org/mirrors how about
> http://mirrors.pypi.python.org (or pypimirrors.python.org, etc) --
> then the mirror list can be hosted separately, and the likelihood of
> both the mirrors and the main PyPI server being down are much lower.
> Admittedly, this makes it harder for other indexes to provide their
> own mirrors, and the location is just entirely magic.  But it seems
> like a useful magic.

Good idea !

> In the egg-info PEP: "They both add other files in the `EGG-INFO` or
> `.egg-info` directory, and
> create or modify `.pth` files. `pip` also creates one `.pth` file
> per installed package, which may lead to slow initialisation of Python."
>
> I don't believe this is the case.  pip zip creates one .pth file for
> each zip file, but that's different. pip installs packages flat.
> Unless you use -e, which invokes setup.py develop, which I believe
> puts the path in easy-install.pth.

Ok, I'll correct that statement,

> Oh, you also use British English; "initialization"!  I only notice
> that because my spell check is complaining about the quotation ;)

OK

> As mentioned in another email, I think RECORD should hold relative
> paths (and PJE's "/" suggestion also of course seems reasonable).  The
> paths should be relative to the .egg-info directory.

OK

> "- get_egg_info(pkg_name) -> path or None
>
>  Scans all site-packages directories and looks for all `pkg_name.egg-info`
>  directories. Returns the directory path that contains a PKG-INFO that matches
>  `pkg_name` for the `name` metadata. Notice that there should be at most
>  one result. If more than one path matches the pkg_name, a DistutilsError
>  is raised.
>
>  If the directory is not found, returns None."
>
> Currently, if there are multiple paths that might be importable,
> whichever one is found first with sys.path is imported, and conflicts
> aren't really considered.  raising DistutilsError seems like it
> changes this.

Yes, while thinking about this API, I thaught it was a good idea to
raise if there's a conflict,
to make sure there's a healthy environement.

> "  filename can be any value found in `distutils.sdist.EGG_INFO_FILES`."
>
> Is there any reason this should be restricted to those filenames?

I think the question is more : is it a good thing to have that fixed
EGG_INFO_FILES file list
in the first place ?

The reason was to describe a standardized, immutable, egg.info
structure, like what we have for
the fields in PKG-INFO

I think having it can prevent third-party tools to build their own
standards on the way .egg.info is used,
and keep this convention in Python. But OTHO it makes it harder to evolve.

Cheers,
Tarek