[Distutils] Continued... Why does setuptools sometimes delete and thenre-install the exact same egg?

Fadhley Salim Fadhley.Salim at uk.calyon.com
Thu Mar 26 18:08:14 CET 2009

Further to my last email I've done some investigation:

The problem seems to be that on some systems the package index which
setuptools builds before it finds the distribtution to install does not
include all of the currently installed packages. As a result it goes
ahead and deletes + installs the same egg which already exists
regardless of whether this is strictly neccecary.

So far I've not managed to work out why this happens... any suggestions?

Thanks