[Distutils] Setuptools code

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Mar 30 01:14:05 CEST 2009

At 04:47 PM 3/29/2009 -0500, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>Hi Phillip
>
>One of the task here at Pycon, will consist of splitting
>pkg_resources.py in smaller bits, to start to see what we are going to
>put back into Distutils.
>
>I think that the best approach is to work on setuptools directly. It
>also a benefit for setuptools.
>I am also considering working there on a few patches to make
>setuptools work with the current Distutils trunk.
>
>Are you OK with this approach ?

Patches that change policies or refactoring should be on a separate
branch.  Patches that fix bugs and don't introduce new ones can go on
the trunk, and hopefully that would include your 2.6-compatibility work.

(It should also be understood that  "Group X doesn't like the current
behavior" doesn't qualify as a bug fix if changing it breaks behavior
in use for Group Y", and when in doubt, either assume that Group Y
exists, or ask me.)

>If not, we'll probably start with a copy from the current trunk
>somewhere else on Python's subversion

For the breakup or any other significant refactoring or policy
change, please start a new branch.  I will take responsibility for
porting to the trunk and 0.6 branch as appropriate.