[Distutils] [issue66] Misleading exception thrown when attempting to installa missing .egg from a file:// url

Salim Fadhley setuptools at bugs.python.org
Mon Mar 30 16:19:40 CEST 2009

New submission from Salim Fadhley <sal at stodge.org>:

Steps to re-create

* Set up an environment as per my previous email but without the egg installed
in site-packages.
* Delete the egg from the egg_repository so that the file we expect to see is
missing, but is still indicated in the html file which is used as the index of
the egg repository directory.
* Try to easy install the egg (as in previous example) and take note of the
exception raised.

My error is here:
http://pastebin.com/m36b84d95

I'm guessing that we get a zipimporterror because the stream returned by the URL
fetching fuction is obviously not zip data. However in this case might it be
more appropriate to raise DistributionNotFound or some kind of special exception
that more correctly describes this situation?

messages: 255
nosy: salimfadhley
priority: wish
status: unread
title: Misleading exception thrown when attempting to installa missing .egg from a file:// url