[Distutils] RFC : PEP 376 - egg.info

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon May 4 18:31:09 CEST 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 6:12 PM, Floris Bruynooghe
<floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com> wrote:

>> But what about the idea ?
>

> How can we be sure that we won't want to change it again in the
> future?

well I think it's now or never, since we are defining a standard here
for this directory.

> As for PROJECT.info, that still doesn't say that the .info
> directory describes a project to me.  Not that I like .egg-info, but I
> guess PJE's argument that it is a major change is valid and just .info
> isn't quite better enough for me to justify the pain (i.e. the name
> doesn't sound so right that no one will ever want to change it again).

Ok then, we will have to provide extra documentation to make people
understand that the '.egg-info' directory has absolutely nothing to do
with egg-the-format
but is rather a metadata container.

'egg-info' was introduced with adding the whole 'egg' thing in Python
in mind at some point I believe.

And it seems that the .egg directory/zip file for projects setuptools
provides will not make it into Python
and is still very controversial
(http://www.reddit.com/r/Python/comments/8he79/am_i_alone_in_feeling_like_python_got_a_whole_lot/)

So removing the 'egg' part of 'egg-info' seemed natural to me at this point.

Regards
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org