[Distutils] RFC : PEP 376 - egg.info

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue May 5 01:18:48 CEST 2009

At 12:50 AM 5/5/2009 +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 7:51 PM, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:

> >> inconsistency, but right, it makes no sense if any file/dir can be added
> >> there.
> >>
> >> What about SOURCES.txt btw ? What is the reason to add it ?
> >
> > It's for source distributions.  It allows them to be able to rebuild an
> > identical source distribution in the absence of source control metadata.
> >
> > It's not really necessary for the installation process, although it's used
> > to figure out which files to install if you use include_package_data=True.
> >

>Any particular reason to call it "SOURCES.txt"  ?
>
>Or we can call it MANIFEST (with '/'-separated relative path)

I called it SOURCES.txt because MANIFEST is ambiguous as to what it's
a manifest *of*, and also to distinguish it from any user-generated
MANIFEST file.  (If you don't know about those, you're probably going
to break backward compatibility w/somebody, btw.  Distutils usage is
a diverse collection of nightmares.)

Anyway, the name of the file has no bearing on what distutils does,
unless distutils is trying to implement the same feature as
setuptools: i.e. round-trippable sdists whose original manifest was
generated via revision control.