[Distutils] RFC : PEP 376 - egg.info

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Tue May 5 01:47:56 CEST 2009

Hi Tarek,

On Tue, 5 May 2009 01:37:34 +0200, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Furtermore, if we provide the ability to fill egg-info with third
> party packages registered through
> a plugin system, it make sense to prepare it at packaging time to
> avoid having to install this third party package
> on the target system.

I'm trying to understand why there is a need for a "new" plug-in
system.

Isn't the site-packages directory already a very simple and
effective plug-in system?

Does not the .PTH file provision... with it's "import .." prefix
capability, allow any code to be run through the .PTH?

I'm not suggesting don't change anything. I'm just wondering
about the implications on my own project and trying to support
both old and new installations.

A lot of windows packages just come with their own windows
installer... how would your proposed system work with these?

Regards

David