[Distutils] RFC : PEP 376 - egg.info

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue May 5 01:58:57 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 1:47 AM, David Lyon <david.lyon at preisshare.net> wrote:

> Hi Tarek,
>

> On Tue, 5 May 2009 01:37:34 +0200, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Furtermore, if we provide the ability to fill egg-info with third
>> party packages registered through
>> a plugin system, it make sense to prepare it at packaging time to
>> avoid having to install this third party package
>> on the target system.
>
> I'm trying to understand why there is a need for a "new" plug-in
> system.
>
> Isn't the site-packages directory already a very simple and
> effective plug-in system?
>
> Does not the .PTH file provision... with it's "import .." prefix
> capability, allow any code to be run through the .PTH?

This is not a registery that indexes code under specific markers :
you are not able for instance to ask "give me all classes that are
filling the .egg-info
dir so I can use them on this 'foo' package"

for this you need a system that let you register your classes under
the 'write-into-egg-info'
group, with an unique name for each, no matter where the class is
located in your package.

That is what entry points are providing : the ability to mark a code
locate anywhere in your installation
and to load it when needed in your execution context.

> I'm not suggesting don't change anything. I'm just wondering
> about the implications on my own project and trying to support
> both old and new installations.
>
> A lot of windows packages just come with their own windows
> installer... how would your proposed system work with these?

I don't think it affects any of these topics.

Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org