[Distutils] Adding entry points into Distutils ?

Hanno Schlichting hannosch at hannosch.eu
Wed May 6 22:26:55 CEST 2009

Ian Bicking wrote:
> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com
> <mailto:tseaver at palladion.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'm actually a big fan of the ':', because it makes explicit the
>     difference between the "import" and the "named thing", even for
>     module-scoped names.
>
> Yeah, I also like it primarily for clarity.  Also you can provide better
> error messages when it fails, matching up the error against the intention.

[...]

> Also I don't
> think there's any strong precedence for purely dot notation, loading
> objects from strings is something that's always done ad hoc, and the
> only widely used library I know of that people use for this is
> Setuptools (indirectly through entry points).

The one I and others use in quite many places is zope.dottedname [1]
(the actual function is at [2]). This one doesn't make any difference
between modules and attributes. It has no zope dependency but happens to
be used throughout the entire Zope / Plone stack.

Hanno

[1] http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zope.dottedname
[2]
http://svn.zope.org/zope.dottedname/trunk/src/zope/dottedname/resolve.py?view=markup