[Distutils] Adding entry points into Distutils ?

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri May 8 01:28:53 CEST 2009

At 10:38 AM 5/7/2009 -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>pip installs my scripts into a virtualenv without any issue and
>without using entry points, AFAICT.
>
>I guess if we move to requiring entry points and disallowing simple
>script distribution I'll need to find another way to package
>virtualenvwrapper.  Since it's a bash script, it doesn't have entry
>points.  I've been using setuptools to package it so it can be
>installed via easy_install, since it is a Python development tool.

Setuptools still supports "classic" scripts, and I don't see any
reason to remove that support.  People do package non-Python scripts
with their projects, after all.

easy_install basically examines such scripts to see if they end with
.py, have a #! line with 'python' in it, or are valid Python source
code.  If any of the above are true, it makes a Python script
wrapper, otherwise it assumes the script is some other language and
leaves it alone.