[Distutils] Distutils roadmap : big picture..
david.lyon at preisshare.net
Wed May 13 03:07:16 CEST 2009
I must admit that my perspective of distutils is from a system
administrators perspective. Not a package developer.
Maybe I write code sometimes that I want to ship out.. like a
package mangager.. haha.. anyway..
My general comments for distutils are:
- introduce gui tools to help developers "build"
- introduce gui tools to help users "manage"
- improve support of distutils on the windows platform
so that it looks like it was developed after the
game space invaders and not before.
- talk to other "stars" in the python universe ie py2exe
wxpython, pip.. installers.. ie NSIS etc etc..
- improve package consistency
- write more tests
After spending a few months on this list I now recognise
that many people have dedicated an enormous amount of time
effort, skill and commitment.
In summary I'm suggesting that we breath some new life
ps: my pet hate is windows installers for packages. I want
these to go away. I don't like running executables to install
More information about the Distutils-SIG